During Homecoming, the Miner Alumni Association honored a select group of “super heroes” for their accomplishments and devotion to the association and the university.
Selected from an impressive list of nominees, the “League of Super Miners” was revealed during the Miner Legends Luncheon on Oct. 18. Eight awardees were honored for their Super Miner achievements, volunteer work, dedicated service and outstanding teaching. Awardees were recognized at events throughout the weekend, including the Silver and Gold Gathering and the football game. Congratulations to the following award recipients:
- Daniel P. Ellis, CE’99, vice president, Crafton Tull and Associates, who received the Distinguished Young Alumni Award
- Bradley H. Hornburg, CE’69, CEO Landmark Contract Management Inc., who received the Robert V. Wolf Alumni Service Award
- Jerry D. Parsons, CE’70, retired materials engineer, Illinois Department of Transportation, who received the Frank H. Mackaman Alumni Volunteer Service Award
- Jennifer Pattershall, assistant professor of psychological science, who received the Class of 1942 Excellence in Teaching Award
- Col. John Pierre Powell, AE’87, president, PAMCO Investments Corp., who received the Alumni Achievement Award
- Karlynn Sievers, Engl’96, LSci’96, physician and clinical assistant professor, University of Wyoming, who received the Distinguished Young Alumni Award
- LeRoy E. Thompson, CE’56, MS CE’65, retired principal and vice president, C3TS, and emeritus professor, Florida International University, who received the Alumni Achievement Award
- Kathryn A. Walker, MS EMgt’82, managing director, OPENAIR Ventures, who received the Alumni Merit Award.
Missouri S&T’s Super Miners were immortalized in a comic book, presented to guests at the Miner Legends Luncheon on Oct. 18.
Before the football game, nearly 300 Miner alumni and friends showed their superhero spirit at the tailgate party. Many sported green superhero capes.
More than 30 runners and walkers traversed the S&T campus on a chilly Homecoming morning as part of the first Super Miner 5K, held on Oct. 19.
Despite trailing much of the game, the Miners rallied in the second half to beat St. Joseph’s College at the university’s annual Homecoming football game. Mireille Paquette, a senior in engineering management from Chesterfield, Mo., was named S&T’s 2013 Homecoming Queen.
She was nominated by Pi Kappa Alpha. Brian Van Booven, a senior in mechanical engineering from Lake Saint Louis, Mo., was named Homecoming King. He was nominated by Pi Kappa Alpha.